Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2013

85th Academy Awards

The Oscars aired last night, and I spent the hours between 6:30 and 11:00 watching every moment.  There were a few surprises, but not many disappointments as far as winners were concerned.  Here follows my breakdown and reaction to some of the results of last night's event.
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway
-I knew this was going to happen.  Anne definitely brought the heartbreaking emotion that deemed her worthy to win this award.  She won for her role as Fantine in "Les Miserables."

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz
-This one surprised me, but in a good way.  I wasn't sure if they were going to give it to him or not.  I was secretly hoping for Philip Seymour Hoffman for the win, since "The Master" didn't get the attention it deserved but I was very happy to see Christoph win.  He won for his character Dr. King Schultz in the excellent "Django Unchained."

Best Actress in a Leading Role: Jennifer Lawrence
-This one also surprised me.  Personally, I was voting for Jessica Chastain who was kind of incredible in "Zero Dark Thirty" but I wasn't disappointed to see Lawrence win it.  Her character was great and she put the intensity and realism into it that pushed her to the forefront.  She won for her character Tiffany in "Silver Linings Playbook."

Best Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis
-To say this was no surprise would be an understatement.  Daniel Day-Lewis is such a fine and exceptional actor that I didn't doubt for a moment that he would take this one.  His portrayal of Abraham Lincoln (like his other roles) made me forget I was watching an actor playing a character, and made me feel I was watching Lincoln himself come to life.  He absolutely deserved it.  Daniel Day-Lewis won for his portrayal of (obviously) Abraham Lincoln in the film "Lincoln."

Best Writing Original Screenplay:  Quentin Tarantino
-I was actually surprised by this because I didn't expect them to give this one to Quentin.  That said, I was pretty happy for him.  First of all, I believe they snubbed "Looper" for this category, but such is the Academy.  I thought they might give it to Mark Boal for "Zero Dark Thirty", a decision I would've been ok with, but Tarantino deserved it.  He won for "Django Unchained."

Best Writing Adapted Screenplay:  Chris Terrio
-I was perfectly content with Chris Terrio winning this category.  The other nominees all would've been good choices, but I think this was the right choice.  Chris Terrio won for his screenplay for "Argo."

Best Cinematography: Claudio Miranda
-Nope.  I wasn't happy with this choice at all.  Roger Deakins should've taken this one easily for his work on "Skyfall," or Robert Richardson for "Django Unchained."  Honestly, I think "The Master" should've been up for this category, but then again, it should've been up for Best Picture as well.  Claudio Miranda won for his work in "Life of Pi."

Best Original Song: "Skyfall" by Adele
-This one deserved it, though I was pretty fond of "Before My Time" by Scarlett Johansson and Joshua Bell from the wonderful film "Chasing Ice."  Adele brought an energy to this song that captured the essence of James Bond, harkening back to the old days while at the same time making it sound fresh.  This would also sum up how I feel about the film itself: an effective blending of old and new.

Best Visual Effects: "Life of Pi"
-I wasn't happy with this decision either.  Almost the entirety of this film is CGI, but there isn't a clear reference to reality to make it seem impressive, whereas "The Avengers" completely recreated New York City for it's remarkable action sequences.  Even "Prometheus," would have been a more acceptable choice (despite any reservation you may have with the plot), the visuals were breathtaking.  I don't even feel like I have to point out that it aslo beat "The Hobbit," just shameful.
 
Best Director: Ang Lee
-I thought Ang would take this one, though personally I would've picked someone else.  I was hoping Spielberg was going to snatch this one up, or maybe David O. Russell for a surprise win.  I do believe there was some snubbing at a criminal level going on with the absence of Ben Affleck from this category.  Ang Lee won for "Life of Pi."

Best Picture: Grant Heslov, George Clooney, Ben Affleck for "Argo"
-I stand behind this decision fully, and I knew from the start that this film would take it.  I think Ben Affleck has really found his niche in the role of director.  Each of his efforts has been better than the last and I eagerly look forward to his next project.  It isn't the full speech (which is a great speech) but here's a clip:
I'm glad that Grant Heslov let Ben speak since he was snubbed in the Best Director category.  He fully deserved this honor.

Well, there you have it, just a few of my Oscar reactions.  For a full list of all Oscar nominees and winners, click the link below:



No comments:

Post a Comment