Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

September Film Club

Thank you to everyone who made it out for our Summer Series: Film Noir. We had fantastic turnouts and great discussions! For the month of September, we take a brief return to a random film of my choosing before jumping back into another special event in October. This year, we will be watching the very strange but every interesting My Dinner With Andre by Louis Malle.

My Dinner with Andre is a 1981 American comedy-drama film directed by Louis Malle, and written by and starring André Gregory and Wallace Shawn as fictionalized versions of themselves sharing a conversation at Café des Artistes in Manhattan. The film's dialogue covers topics such as experimental theater, the nature of theater, and the nature of life, and contrasts Andre's spiritual experiences with Wally's modest humanism. Reception was largely positive upon initial release, and over time My Dinner with Andre has come to be regarded as a classic.

The film currently holds a 93% Fresh Rating on Rotten Tomatoes and Roger Ebert gave it 4/4 stars adding it to his list of the Great Movies, said this in his review, "Someone asked me the other day if I could name a movie that was entirely devoid of clichés. I thought for a moment, and then answered, “My Dinner With Andre.” Now I have seen the movie again; a restored print is going into release around the country, and I am impressed once more by how wonderfully odd this movie is, how there is nothing else like it. It should be unwatchable, and yet those who love it return time and again, enchanted. What they actually say is not really the point, I think. I made a lot of notes about Andre’s theories and Wally’s doubts, but this is not a logical process, it is a conversation, in which the real subject is the tone, the mood, the energy. Here are two friends who have each found a way to live successfully. Each is urging the other to wake up and smell the coffee. The difference is that, in Wally’s case, it’s real coffee."

We will be meeting Thursday, Sept. 24 at 5:30 pm 

Here's a trailer:


Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment