Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Spins a web, any size...


Catches thieves just like flies, look out! Here comes the Spider-man!


So, they've released the new "teaser" trailer (though it's like 2 and half minutes...) for the new Spider-man reboot entitled The Amazing Spider-man, starring Andrew Garfield (The Social Network, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Never Let Me Go) as the web-slinging title character and Emma Stone (Easy A, Superbad, and the forthcoming The Help) as the gorgeous, blonde haired Gwen Stacy. I won't lie...I'm a huge fan of Sam Raimi and his version that was released in 2002 (almost 10 years ago, yikes!), I thought everything worked real well in that version, the characters, the story the humor and the action (in appropriate quantities...though, what really is an appropriate quantity of anything when Sam Raimi is involved?), everything jived and made for an engaging and all together entertaining movie-going experience, which is why I'm kind of skeptical about this new version. That said, I'm also very excited about this version for a number of reasons. 1. I think the cast is pretty solid, Andrew Garfield is a pretty decent actor (he did very well in the The Social Network), I love Emma Stone and the supporting cast is extensive and awesome, including but not limited to: Martin Sheen, Rhys Ifans, Dennis Leary and Sally Field (to name a few.) 2. The director is Marc Webb, who's 2009 film (500) Days of Summer what funny, heartfelt and all together wonderful. I have faith in him, and 3. It's not Spider-man 3 (ok, I'm sorry, but it was awful).

Final thoughts: I don't think that it's a necessary reboot (they hardly are), and I really love Raimi's Spider-man and Spider-man 2, (not to mention the Bruce Campbell cameos), I feel like they're trying to reach a younger, more angst-filled crowd (think Twilight, ughh, sorry), especially with this trailer...I hope that isn't true of the film itself (trailers can, and most often are, deceiving in the tone they set), but we shall see.

Here's the trailer, what are your feelings on the matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment